Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday Mornings


For the parents of Marines and Sailors of the 2nd MEB, Monday mornings may have a special meaning. Monday marks the beginning of a new week, which means one week closer to our loved ones coming home! Without fail one of the first things I think of on Monday morning is, “Hurray, it’s Monday, the beginning of another week – I can check last week off now!” (I don’t think of this on Sunday for some reason - the traditional "first day of the week.")

In light of this, I have a proposal to possibly help us through the coming weeks and months:
Most of us have probably heard the English idiom – Monday morning quarterback



(Def) A Monday morning quarterback is a football spectator who, with the benefit of hindsight, knows what should have been done in a situation and points out where the team went wrong.



Obviously this is a somewhat pejorative statement! But let’s put a bit of a positive spin on this for a moment shall we, and on Monday mornings do a little "Monday morning quarterbacking" and with the benefit of hindsight look back at our previous week to see how we can improve on it a bit – with regard to parenting our Sailor or Marine from a distance that is - as well as doing our best to navigate through the trenches of deployment with dignity and honor. I'm not saying we aren't doing that already, but as I see it, we can always improve! And we can start by asking ourselves questions like these about the previous week:



· Could I have written more

· Did I get that care package on its way as requested

· Did I run all the errands on “the list”

· Did I get the emails out to the friends and family

· Did I get enough sleep

· Did I do the things in my life to keep "me" peaceful and contented

What did I do that kept me on the right track!
*Monday mornings are also the time when the coach recognizes the great plays and attitudes, and passes out accolades to the players. What did I do right last week?

. . . and then doing our best to improve during the coming week! Whatever our own questions are, there's no real reason to guilt ourselves into anything, but gently nugde ourselves in the right, serene direction!


Live in the week!



Blessings,



Tamera


2 comments:

  1. Interesting analogy. I try to do these things in every aspect of my life. As far as my son's deployment, I find that a daily email exchange with my daughter-in-law brings us both a small bit of peace. I beleive we have actually become a bit closer during this deployment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my son was deployed, especially this last time to Afghanistan, constant contact with our our daughter-in-law became a source of peace for all of us as well! We grew especially close during that deployment. Where is your daughter-in-law right now?
    I hope all is well with you over there in my favorite country? I really miss Japan! Be sure and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    Blessings,

    Tamera

    ReplyDelete